Sunday, June 2, 2013

What To Do With All Those Bridal Magazines...

When I first got engaged, my roommate made an adorable congratulatory basket with champagne and a notebook and bridal magazines... I was so excited! I leafed through every page, tearing out ones I loved and filing them away in a notebook.  Then another friend gave me another magazine, and I did the same... adoring every idea and shouting out to the household when I saw something new. 
Then we looked at venues... and it seemed like every venue we met with handed me another inch-thick bridal magazine.  Then came the bridal show, I started receiving them in the mail, and a neighboring teacher gave me a bag of at least 20 leftover from her daughter's wedding.
Not that I'm not appreciative... the magazines just started to all look a little alike and I was tearing out less and less pages in each one.
So what do I do with all those magazines?

Well... here's my solution.  Yesterday, I made that fun Kusudama ball for my future sister-in-law's bridal shower, and while I was doing it I was imagining all of the fun things I could make these flowers out of:
sheet music... books... maps...

So today, while trying to brainstorm a thank you gift for a friend who is helping us out BIG TIME with getting our venue, I thought back to all of those bridal magazines and the carambola flowers.

And an idea was born.  I decided to make:

Bridal Magazine Kusudama Balls

To do this, you need:
Various bridal magazines
Pearls/beads
Popsicle sticks
Ribbon
Vase/planter (optional)

Instructions:
Step 1: Decide how many flowers you want. For each flower, you'll need 5 squares cut from the magazines.  My squares were 5" by 5" and they yielded pretty big flowers.  I found pages with like coloring to make the different flowers (one flower was from white colors, another from pink, another from browns, then greens, then blues).  Below are my pages lined up by color. These have already been cut.


Step 2: Fold each petal and glue together the petals to make a flower.  To do this, follow the instructions at foldingtrees.  It's really a very easy process, and each flower takes about 5 minutes, so this bouquet took less than 1/2 hour.

Step 3: Glue a pearl/bead to the middle of each flower.  To do this, I just added hot glue around the outside of the bead and pressed it into the middle.

Step 4: Add a popsicle stick to the bottom. This was my/my roommate's solution to creating a stem that is strong enough to hold up the flower.  It's not as pretty as I would like it to be, but you can always hide it in a planter.  To add the popsicle stick, I just put a dab of glue on the end of a stick (on each side) and squished it into the bottom of the flower.  It usually fit right in between two folds.

Here are all 5 of my flowers before putting them together.


 Step 6: Attach all of the popsicle sticks together. To do this, I used a twistie tie, but you can also use a rubber band, or something more innovative if you choose.  When you have attached them, tie a ribbon over the top of what you used to hide it.

This is a view from the top.


Step 7: If you would like, you can put the flowers in a vase or a pot like this one.  I probably could have used a smaller pot, but I had this one lying around my house and it fit fine.


Since mine was really supposed to go as a gift card holder, I stuck some gift cards between each flower and secured them with tape.  Then I added a card to the  middle.





 That's just a quick tutorial, let me know if you have any questions or want to share your flowers!

Amy












No comments:

Post a Comment