Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Father's Day Knitted Horse

My dad is always one of the hardes guys to shop for, which is weird because he is one of the most clear-cut guys out there.

He has a very defined personality and interests: biker, runner, swimmer, boater, traveller, tech-geek, grad-student, DIY-er, businessman.

So why is it so hard to come up with new ideas? I think there's only so many Blu-Rays/speakers/button down shirts/running socks/goggles you can buy a man.

So for Father's Day I decided to buy my dad an experience instead of an item, so I settled on a groupon for two for horseback riding, which I used to love to do with him as a kid. 

Now, if you know me you know I can't just buy a gift and leave it at that. I might get physically ill or catch a disease or something. I also hate buying groupons for people and just handing them over a folded up piece of paper. It all feels so lazy and like there's not much thought behind it. So I was on a mission to find a unique hand-made gift that could accompany my day's horse-riding adventure. 

KNITTING!!!

With increased confidence in my knitting abilities since the creation of the hedgehog and the mandrake, I found an easy pattern for a knitted horse that would also serve as a time-killer for the 7-hour drive. The pattern is $5 on Mamma4earth's etsy site, and easy enough for me to complete (with a few google and YouTube references).



And of course, I made him the replacement gator wine glass which was my first video tutorial!

So I survived another Father's Day and I have 3 months to come up with the perfect birthday gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment