Thursday, June 5, 2014

Baby Month Onesies

Tiny nose, 10 fingers, 10 toes, puffy cheeks and bright red lips... it's baby time again!!

Another friend had a baby recently, and even through my startling realization that I'm in the age group where this is normal, I was still able to put together a baby gift and ship it her way.

I decided to make the month-by-month Onesies that I've not only seen on pinterest, but I've seen quite a few facebook pictures of different variations of month-by-month pictures. I thought this was a really cute way of doing it.

Just as a warning to all my beloved family and friends, when it comes time for my baby, you WILL be getting a monthly pregnancy picture, as well as a monthly report on the baby's likes, dislikes, height, weight, and stages.  I don't care that you don't care and I don't care that my 2-month-old probably likes the same things that every other baby likes.

Anyways, I really liked the idea of this, and at first I was going to just make them with the Cricut and iron-on vinyl, but they only carried 3 colors of iron-on vinyl at Michaels, and none of those colors were ones that I wanted.  Yes, I could have ordered it online, but then I wouldn't have the instant gratification that I so desire.

Plan B.  Fabric.  My new plan was to just buy heat-bond, cut out different numbers in different colors and patterns of scrap fabric, and iron them on.  Well, The first month worked like a charm, then I just could not get the Cricut to cut any other fabric.  It might not have been sticky enough (it would have taken an extra 30 minutes to re-stick it, thus, no instant gratification.  I'm not sure what the problem was, but the only fabric that would cut was the first one I tried.

Plan C. Use all the same fabric and pretend it looks as cute as the picture in my mind.

So, first thing I did was cut a rectangle of fabric and iron it flat, then I cut the heat-bond down to the same size and ironed it on the back.  Then, I stuck it on the cricut mat, set my cricut to the highest pressure and depth and lowest speed, and cut out the numbers and words.  Then, I was able to iron them right onto the onesies.

At the end, I decided to add some cute polka-dots to all the shirts to make them a little cuter.



Of course, I couldn't leave the gift there. I had to make some Personalized Baby Bottles inspired by Etsy.  It's amazing all the different things a machine and some vinyl can do!






No comments:

Post a Comment