Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pre-Summer Challenge, Week 1

The first week of my pre-summer challenge is over, and I'm excited to share my projects from this week!

Monday is when I tried a new hairstyle.  I tried this side twist fishtail braid from beauty-tutorial and fell in love.  It only took about 10 minutes to do, I absolutely love fishtails, and it stayed all day! This will be a common hairstyle now, I can feel it.









On Tuesday, I tried a new outfit.  I worked in my denim shirt that I had only ever worn over maxi-dresses and paired it with a tank, simple black shorts, and teal sandals to make a comfy and cute outfit.

















On Wednesday, I tried a new recipe.  I cooked this Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken with Broccoli (recipe #127) from what2cook.  Now, I enjoy sour things and I especially enjoy lemon, but if I were to do this recipe again I would use about 1/2 of the lemon juice that I did.  I'm not sure if I didn't use enough chicken or what, but WOW this chicken made the back of my jaw hurt and reminded me of warheads.


I also tried this Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche from budgetbytes later in the week.  It was delicious and not too hard to make, but it didn't stay together very well once out of the pan and re-heating it definitely turned it to mush.

















On Thursday, I attempted to make this cute bow sweater from pinterest, but I only ended up ruining a really comfy sweater and wasting an hour and a half.  It didn't turn out nearly as well as I wanted.








Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were my home/jumble days and I tried a few different tricks that had been sitting on my to-do list.

First, I took a tip from pinterest to fill one of these dishwashing loofahs with 1/2 dawn and 1/2 vinegar and keep it in the shower.  Wipe down the shower while you're in it every so often to never have to deal with a day full of shower-cleaning commitment.  It's too early to see how well this works, but I'll keep you updated.

 

Next, I tried another tip from pinterest to pour 1 cup of salt mixed with 1/2 cup of baking soda down your drain, followed by a kettle of boiling water in order to unclog your drain.  Our bathroom sink has been draining really slowly for awhile and I thought this would help.  It didn't seem to help right away, but I'll see over time.  I might just need to stick a hanger down there and pull out all the inevitable hair.


Third, and my favorite, I made a food passport that came from thespottedfox.  Logan and I had been talking about trying new restaurants for a long time, and I suggested that we attempt to try every restaurant in our little town.  When I saw this idea for a food passport where you write down 50 restaurants you haven't tried, I new it was the perfect solution.  I spent a big chunk of the day today going through different apps such as urbanspoon and yelp to find all of the restaurants in our town we hadn't tried.  Well, I got up to about 43 before I gave up and said 'to be continued'.  We live in a pretty small town and I've lived here practically my whole life, so I can't say there's many options left out there.  I'm excited to get started!

Last, I tried out this pillow whitening technique where you wash your pillows in a mixture of hot water, dishwashing powder, bleach, laundry detergent, and borax.  Except I didn't have any borax.  Here's how they turned out:


Honestly, not that much better than they started.  Maybe I needed the borax.  At least I'm confident they're clean now!


That's it for the first week. I know I'm a few weeks behind on updating, but I've been sticking with it and can't wait to share all the new things!

Amy

















No comments:

Post a Comment