Sunday, December 25, 2011

White Christmas

Merry Christmas! I'm in Colorado, having a white Christmas. Burrr.


I haven't updated in awhile, and I just had to brag about the many things I've made in the past week or so!

Although I haven't done any new crafts, I have knocked out quite a few recipes. Who knows, I might just hit my 50 mark by the new year. I do still have a week left, and we'll be stuck in the mountains with nothing to do. I'm sure my mom would love for me to offer to cook.

Recipe #37 - Cream Cheese Sausage Balls: I helped Tiffany make these and couldn't believe how easy they were. They were delicious too, even without the cream cheese. If I made them myself, I would add the cream cheese to see if they're that much better (how could cream cheese make them worse???)

Recipe # 38 - 3 Minute 3 Ingredient Mint Fudge: This was absolutely amazing. I didn't believe that it was as easy as it said, but it was. I couldn't find andes mint chips at the store, so I just used two packages of whole andes mints. Stick them in the microwave with a bag of chocolate chips and a can of condensed milk and 3 minutes later you have fudge. It was so crazy. It made me wonder why I had spent so long making fudge all those years.

Recipe #39 - Chocolate Mint Brownies - Just add a York Peppermint Patty in between brownie mix. SO easy. Only I could screw it up. I needed a quick dessert to make Logan for his gift and I thought I had brownie mix at home. I did, but it was peanut butter chocolate mix. Instead I decided to add them to the middle of chocolate cake batter to make chocolate mint cupcakes. Again, only I could screw this up. Somehow I managed to be in such a hurry that I forgot to add the eggs. I was trying to figure out why the batter was so fluffy and why the cupcakes weren't sticking together when I realized... Did I add eggs? nope. No eggs. Oh well, Logan said he loved them still (yeah... he won't lie about that to me. He usually finds the one thing wrong with everything I make) and said he didn't even notice.

Cost for this present - $3 for peppermint patties

Recipe #40 - Oreo Truffles - I had some of these at Susie's craft club last month and absolutely loved them. I was so impressed until I saw the recipe - Blend oreos, add cream cheese, cover in melted chocolate. That's it! But it tastes so wrong, like some sort of cookie dough. Yummm. The problem I had with these was that I couldn't find white baking chocolate at the grocery store (that's what you get at the neighborhood wal mart) so I decided to just melt hershey's cookie and cream bars on top instead. It sounded like a great idea (oreo white chocolate covered oreo truffles?) but apparently these bars aren't real chocolate or have something weird in them because they wouldn't melt, just caught on fire like a marshmallow, and clumped together right away. I went back to the store the next day and bought white chocolate, so they turned out alright. I made them for my friend Jamie, and bought a little Christmas pail to put them in, so I had lots left over. Not for long though.

Cost for this present - Oreos $3 + Cream Cheese $2 + Chocolate $5 = $10


Recipe #41 - Fluffernutter Bites: These were a present for my childhood friend Rachel. In high school we would have sleepovers that would always wind down at 2am with a fluffernutterbutter sandwich on the floor of my room. I found this recipe and thought it was perfect for a little surprise christmas gift. They were very good and very easy to make!

Cost for this present - Peanuts $2 + Peanut butter $2 + Dry milk $3 = $7


Recipe #42 - Chocolate Peanut Butter Croissants - Not much to say here. I love peanut butter. I love chocolate. I love croissants.

Recipe #43 - Oh my goodness, this is going to have to be two recipes in one. Get ready to have a heart attack just from reading. My mom put me in charge of the dessert for our friend Christmas dinner on the 22nd. Baaaad move. We decided on making the Chocolate Wasted Cake using the Black Magic Chocolate cake recipe (Recipe #44) and call it "The Next Best thing to Ryan Reynolds" (because we thought it was better than The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford). So what we did was make two 8" circle cakes using the black magic cake recipe. We let them cool for a bit and I took a nibble of a piece that was left in the pan. It tasted HORRIBLE! It was completely bitter and salty, we couldn't understand what we did wrong. Just as we were planning a trip to publix to buy a chocolate cake, we tried the outside of the cake and it tasted fine. In the end, we decided that the center of the one cake was the only part that was messed up so we just cut the center out, plopped it on top of the other cake to make a volcano, and continued with our adventure. Crisis averted. This whole time, Jane's 85 year old little british grandma was sitting quietly at the kitchen table watching us and giggling to herself at our frantic problem solving. Anyways, the next step was to make the frosting from the black magic recipe and pour it all over the outside of the cake. Pour. We covered the cake, and the platter it was on, then moved the cake to a different plate and covered it again. Then we melted bags of rolos and twixes in the microwave and put them in the volcano hole that we had cut out of the salty cake. Imagine a chocolate volcano filled with melted candy bars. While Jane was doing this, I was covering the sides of the cake with chocolate chips. When we were both done we added more chocolate frosting to the volcano part where the melted candy bars were. Then we drizzled melted chocolate over the whole cake. Then we added a santa hat in spray frosting (it was Christmas, after all). The final product looked like this:




It was very chocolaty and rich, as you can imagine, but it was nice having the caramel of the rolos and the cookie of the twix and the hardness of the unmelted chocolate chips mixed in with all that melted chocolate. It gave it some texture. I do admit, by the end of the baking experience it had turned into a disaster of a kitchen and a game of 'what else can we melt?'



Recipe # 45 - Santa Hat Brownie Bites: My final recipe I have tried in the past week is this adorable and quick one. We came to colorado and my mom was sick all day in bed [with a cold] and asked me to make something to bring to our family Christmas today. She showed me her version of these from her pinterest, which I immediately ignored and reverted straight to my own. Check! Recipe #45 done, and funded by my parents. Everyone loved them. I decided not to mess with piping melted white chocolate [*flashbacks of oreo truffle fiasco*] and went with the cans of frosting you can buy that come with the four tips (which we used for the chocolate wasted cake). When I finished making them and gave an extra one to my brother to try, I was amused at how he was attempting to eat it. The brownies themselves are those two-bite brownies you buy in the store, and the strawberry on top made it just more than a mouthful. I called him stupid and told him to just bite it in half. Then I tried. Fail. I knew it was impossible to just 'bite it in half' and I didn't want to eat the strawberry separate from the brownie because I wouldn't get the full effect. Finally I just stuffed the whole thing in my mouth and tried not to choke as everyone in the room was laughing at me, including myself.



So those are all the recipes for now. Some recipes I might be able to try up in the mountains are:


I just got approval from my mom to do the cooking while we're up there [like that was a battle], this will be fun!!!!


One more thing before I go...

I just saw this great tutorial on how to make an accordian mini scrapbook . It's adorable and cute!
The problem is my browser won't pin a video to pinterest and I just NEED it there.
So here's what it looks like the and the tutorial is the link above!!

Accordion Mini Scrapbook - Mini Album Scrapbook Gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment