Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Advent Calendars

Goodness... I still have a week left of this nothingness.

To top it all off, I was sick yesterday and had to call out of one of the only shifts that was going to get me out of the house this week. Luckily I had a wonderful boyfriend to take care of me last night and I'm perfect today! It must have been one of those 24 hour bugs or something.

Anyways, I haven't left the house yet today, but I sure did get a lot done!!!

We'll start with the advent calendar... When I was little, my mom would drag out the advent calendar each year and my brother and I would get to open the little box and have a piece of candy or a present every day. It was so wonderful and it made December so much fun. My brother's senior year of high school I had to BEG my mom to do it just ONE MORE TIME because it was the last time my brother would be home with us. Guilt trip works every time.

Of course, that wasn't the last time my brother would be home for Christmas, we have had a Christmas at home together every year since (except this year, when we're all meeting in Colorado), but it was the last time I saw that ratty advent calendar, and something has been missing from December ever since.

So once a month, they have this food truck convention in my town. All the food trucks from the area park in one parking lot and you can go around and try all their foods. Last month, Logan and I went for the first time and tried a Blue Crab Roll. It was so heavenly. It was $10, so we split it, but we were savoring every bite and wishing we had more. The food truck event rolled around again on Sunday, but Logan had gone home to go to an epic football game with his family. EEEEVEN THOUGH he left me at home all alone, I really wanted to surprise him with a crab roll when he got home Sunday night. I fought with myself all day about getting a crab roll for him, but I didn't know if I could bring myself to pay $20 for two sandwiches (I would have to have one too!) when I was extremely low on money and had just bought him an $80 iPhone case for Christmas anyways.

So what did I do????

"I can make that myself!"

I looked up a recipe online. After sifting through all sorts of recipes that just weren't right (why did they all have bacon in them?) I found this recipe from Cooks.com for Hot Crab Rolls (Recipe #34). So I ran to the grocery store, and much to my surprise a can of crab (yes, I was surprised that crab comes in cans too) cost $5 and the recipe calls for 2-3 cans! So I would end up spending $20 anyways! Well, I made do and only bought 2 cans, plus the other ingredients was about $15, and I got the experience of making my own crab rolls.



They were delicious. It was then that I decided that I would give Logan an advent calendar of gifts for every day until Christmas since I had so many little presents for him anyways. The crab roll was gift #1. He couldn't even tell the difference between mine and the truck guy's (I made sure he tried it first before I told him).

His second gift (yesterday) was a bottle of soap for his bathroom, since he had been out of soap for about a week and 'kept forgetting' to get some. Ahhhhh drives me crazy!!! So gross!

His third gift (today) was cupcakes with peppermint patties in the middle. I got the idea from this Peppermint Pattie Brownie Recipe (Recipe #35) but I didn't have any brownie mix so I made cupcakes instead. They would have turned out a lot better if I hadn't forgotten the eggs. Damn.

I also tried to make Old-fashioned Pull-apart Buns (Recipe #36) (you caught that I TRIED to make them, right?)... I followed the directions specifically, but my dough wouldn't rise!!! Argh. I don't know what I did wrong, but I was never meant to be a breadmaker anyways. I'll defrost bread any day.

I also managed to complete Logan's Grill Master Apron (which will be his gift on the 20th) which I was inspired by through this apron. I'm pretty proud of it, hopefully he'll like it!!! Notice the built in beer coozy, beer opener, all the pockets, and the accessories to go with them!



So remember the Dammit Dolls I made for my brother's birthday and Logan's Christmas? Well my mom was sending my brother's package to him up in Boston and saw the Dammit Doll and loved it. She took a picture and showed it to some of her fellow teachers at work, and one lady wanted one made for her too! So I went ahead and bought more fabric $5 and googly eyes $1 and made a better, cuter Dammit Doll. The problem was, I was torn between giving Logan the better Dammit Doll or the one I had made for him originally. Eventually, even though I felt bad, I wrapped up the new one for Logan and passed on the old one to my mom's coworker. Got $10 out of it though! Here's both dolls together. New one is on the left, old one on the right.


Today I completed bow shirt inspired by one found on pinterest from reddressboutique.com. (Image no longer available). Here's how it turned out:



Finally, I made another gator wreath for Logan's parents for Christmas. This one's a little bigger with a bigger F in the middle and double layers of piping to form the wreath.



Sorry it's a quick post, I'm off to see a movie with Logan!


No comments:

Post a Comment