Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Recipes 327-343

Recipe #327: Biscuits and Gravy Casserole from CincyShopper:


This recipe reminded me of my good 'ole Southern Roots (okay, Florida roots... but still). It's not easy to find some nice authentic Biscuits and Gravy in New York City, but this easy was a cinch to make... the hardest part was finding the right sausage! I look forward to making this again in the nearby future! (ps. Breakfast for dinner is a winner every time!)


Recipe #328: Best Ever Butter Cake from RasaMalaysa:


A nice, simple bread that made a delicious dessert, but would also be perfect for afternoon tea. It was so moist and full of flavor!


Recipe #329: Peach Jalapeno Margarita from Dessert for Two:

 

Yaaaaaas! The best thing that came from this recipe was the discovery of making jalapeno simple syrup. I made extra and used it in EVERYTHING until it was gone... lemonade, sprite, vodka soda. YUM. Spicy and sweet is the perfect combination.



Recipe #330: Crockpot Cheese Tortellini from RedStarRecipe:



This was a pretty simple crock pot recipe that made enough to feed an army. Or a family of 12. With leftovers. So, needless to say, we had some leftovers go in the garbage after a few days of consistent eating. One thing to look out for... Make sure you use the frozen tortellini, not the refrigerated stuff from Trader Joe's... to avoid overcooked Pasta.




Recipe #331: Avocado Egg Salad from TwoPeasandtheirPods:

Although this creamy egg salad sounded amazing, the combination of avocado with egg salad didn't really sit right in my mouth. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture because it turned a grey color about 20 minutes after making it (thanks, avocado)... making it that much less appetizing. I'm going to label this one a one-try and pass recipe.


Recipe #332: Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells from The-Girl-Who-Ate-Everything:

I love stuffed shells, and this recipe was no exception! Although they weren't anything more special than some damn good stuffed shells, they were pretty easy to make and kept us fed for multiple nights (especially with the second pan in the freezer).



Recipe #333: Reese's Peanut Butter Banana Bread from CookiesandCups:

This recipe was a little traumatizing... I worked all week to prepare for it, including waiting for the bananas to ripen, making a special trip out to get reese's cups, and waiting around for them to freeze before finally putting the batter together and sticking it in the oven for the annoyingly long cook time. When the oven finally beeped an hour later, I went to take out the bread, and discovered that my wonderful husband unknowningly turned off the oven while cleaning the kitchen. I thought I could fix it. I turned the oven on again and put it back in, but in the end the bread was burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside.
Failure.
I tried so hard not to be grumpy, I did. Points for effort?


Recipe #334: Cheesy Bacon Biscuits from LoveFoodies:


I'm a big fan of biscuits, and I thought these would be a big hit, but I was disappointed to find that they were dry! I tried to salvage them by dipping them in tomato soup (which is a great way to eat them, no matter how moist they are), but in the end I was just angry that I wasted half a package of bacon on a failure.


Recipe #335: Red White and Blue Jello Shots from AtThePicketFence:

Speaking of failures, I re-tried another recipe that we attempted last 4th of July... Red White and Blue Jello shots. Unfortuantely, I ran into the same problem we had last year, where we couldn't find blue jello ANYWHERE (thanks, NYC). 
I mean, come on... NO blue!? (The blue package is red jello in a blue package).

Eventually, despite a disappointing google search about what colors I can mix to make blue (the results all yelled at me telling me how stupid I was because blue is a primary color and you can't mix other colors to make it), I tried adding blue food coloring to purple jello anyway, and got a beautiful blue! HA... take that color wheel!

SO, The blue layer is purple jello with blue food coloring, the white layer is plain gelatin with milk (which sounded weird to me, but it really was nice!), and the red layer is red jello. These took a few days to make since you had to let each layer set, but besides that (and the running around looking for the right jello), they were pretty easy!
I made these for memorial day weekend, but I might make them again for the 4th!



Recipe #336: Margaritas by the Gallon from JeffreyMorgenthaler:


Also for memorial day weekend, I tried out this recipe for a gallon of margaritas to take to the beach with us. It turned out really well (despite the fact that it called for WAY more lemon & lime juice than I had), and it was a convenient way to share margs on the beach (plus we had a few nights' leftovers as well).



Recipe #337: Rice Whisky Treats from SavvyHousekeeping:


The final memorial day weekend recipe I tried (it was a busy weekend) was Adult Rice Krispy Treats, or Rice Whisky Treats. The recipe online called for Black Cherry Jim Beam, but I couldn't find that anywhere (surprise... New York City!), so I used Jack Daniel's instead.
It worked, they were delicious and sticky and a big hit on the beach.

Recipe #338: Pesto Salmon and Italian Veggies from CookingClassy:


On the healthier side, I tried out this easy way of cooking salmon over veggies in foil. It's mess free, and the veggies/tomatoes add a nice fresh kick to it. The pesto sauce was delicious! The only thing to complain about are those tiny itty bitty bones in the fish I just can't seem to avoid. Eugh.

Recipe #339: Pinapple Cucumber Salad from MomOnTimeOut:


Another healthy and delicious option... I loved buying a whole pineapple and cutting it apart for this recipe (there's a first time for everything!), and the salt on the salad went great with the fruit! It might be good with some dressing, like Marie's Raspberry Vinaigrette


Recipe #340: Pumpkin Spice Buttermilk Cake from CozyCakesCottage:



This was a nice large dessert that I was able to share with house guests... It was delicious, but for some reason my taste buds were confused by all the spice and pumpkin at the end of spring.


Recipe #341: IHOP Copycat Buttermilk Pancakes from CookinUpNorth:



Since I had some leftover buttermilk from the cake, I decided to try out a recipe for buttermilk pancakes. They were really fun to make, and they definitely were more delicious than boxed mix, but in my opinion they weren't up to the quality of those delicious IHOPpancakes in the area of fluffyness. It might be a recipe to play around with though!


Recipe #342: Mocha Brownie Cookies from Food.Com:


I will leave you with two (!) failed cookie recipes. I admit, there have been a lot more misses than hits in the kitchen department lately, but at least I'm not afraid to try new things.
Theses Mocha Brownie Cookies looked delicious, and I was so excited about the coffee in them because I knew they wouldn't be all gobbled up by the hubby while I wasn't looking. Unfortunately, my batter turned out really runny (did I mess up the flour measurement?) and the 'cookies' turned out to be one big flat lump that was un-salvageable since it was stuck to the pan (I swear it says place on an ungreased cookie sheet)!  I tried to at least make a little frosting to dip the crumbs in, but then I saw that I was out of powdered sugar and just gave up altogether.

Recipe #343: Chocolate Chip Peanut butter Shortbread Cookies from OMGChocolateDesserts:


I swear I followed this recipe exactly! I checked it, and double checked it, and triple checked it! I was a little worried when my husband pointed out that there weren't any eggs involved, but I put my trust in the recipe. Failure. I set out the freshly baked cookies for our Game-of-Thrones-watch-party on sunday night. As we each bit into our cookies, clouds of flour dust filled each of our throats as we tried to choke down the dry, chalky food.
'It's very... peanut-buttery!'.

Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment