Saturday, February 14, 2015

Finished Sky Scarf!

Back in March, I told you all about how I was so excited to have started my sky scarf, I shared pictures of my progress from January and February, and promised to share more throughout the year.

But, then I didn't.

Sorry.

But, now I'm here, and I'm finished, and I'm ready to share my year-long creation!

A sky scarf is a kind of concept knitting; you knit a row each day with the two colors that best match the sky for that day.

Below is a series of pictures throughout my year, and my growing sky scarf. I chose to do this for 2014 because it was the year of our wedding, and it ended up being one of the most exciting years of my life with our move to New York City, travels, new job, new apartment, and getting married! If you look really closely, you can see one row of red in December... that's the day of our wedding!

If you also look very closely, you'll see there's only 11 months here. June somehow didn't get a picture. Sorry!


I used size US8 needles with size 4 yarn (I used Vanna White's yarn from Lion's Brand... it's called Vanna's Choice and I found it at Michael's. It has a great range of sky colors).  I knitted 40 stitches per row.

The scarf ended up being HUGE, which was extremely convenient for when the NYC winter weather days would get in the single digits or negatives, but if I were to do it again I would probably only knit 20 stitches per row.

I made it to an infinity scarf at first by stitching together the two ends, but found I had more flexibility by keeping it a straight scarf, so I unstitched the ends.

Can't wait to cuddle in this on more cold days coming up!


Ps. Oh, and I knitted hubby a nice warm hat with my leftover yarn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment