Wednesday, December 25, 2013

PreK Week 19: Christmas

Our last week before winter break was a shorter one with one whole day and three half days. We spent this week focusing on Christmas, including cultural Christmas traditions. I had sent home a note asking families to share the holiday that they celebrated, as well as any holiday traditions so that we could discuss them in class.

On Monday, a lot of the school had a 'Polar Express' day.  All the kids (and teachers) wore their pajamas (again!), and watched the movie 'The Polar Express'.  In my classroom, we started by reading the book (which is awfully long for Pre-K kids to sit through).  Then we let the kids watch the movie, and I pulled kids one at a time to dictate a letter to Santa (thanks to a Polar Express activity packet from Houghton Mifflin.  

After the movie, the kids all had hot chocolate and a snack. I was going to do an adorable train snack as well, but didn't get to the store in time.  If you want ideas, I found this candy train  and this Graham cracker train.



On Tuesday I focused on Pete the Cat. I read 'Pete the Cat Saves Christmas'  and then did this cute Pete the Cat gumdrop Christmas story and activity from MissSarahsStoryTime with my kids. It involved a mixture of a Christmas story with Pete's Groovy buttons.

The kids then got to make their own Pete the Cat with gumdrop buttons. Next year I'll add a Santa hat to make him a little more festive!


On Wednesday, we read 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' and sang the song.  We then made these easy peasy Rudolph Ornaments ... one of my kids pointed out the sticks made an 'A' when you put them together... they made me so proud! Later on we watched 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer' movie.


On Thursday, our last day of school, we did two easy crafts.

The first on was these Paper Plate Santa Masks from imgur. I had already cut out the paper plates and the hats, and the kids had painted them red the day before, so all they had to do was add the cotton balls.



The other craft was these Light-Up Christmas Trees from AllKidsNetwork that just involved gluing squares of tissue paper to the back of already-cut and hole-punched trees so that when you hold it up to the light it looks like it's lit up!


That was all for our Christmas activities... All the kids and I are certainly ready for a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment