Saturday, November 23, 2013

Beauty and the Beast Tea Set - Mrs. Potts and Chip

Welcome to my latest pride and joy!

It was my friend Edie's birthday last month, and I knew the absolute perfect gift for her when I saw this hand-painted Beauty and the Beast tea set on etsy from xxfairytalecreationsxx, but I wasn't sure if I could get away with doing it myself.

But, it was worth a try, right?

A little google search showed that Target just happened to sell the perfect plain, white teapot, as well as a teacup and plate that would be perfect!

I used a black glass-painting pen from Michael's, and Martha Stewart Crafts Glass Paint .  I decided to only do the teapot, teacup, and small plate... not the large plate and the bowl that were in the picture.  Start small, ya know?  I started by drawing the designs on the glass with thin sharpie (it rubs right off if there's a mistake). 
Then I painted with a paintbrush and the glass paint bottles. 
When the paint was dry, I went over the sharpie and defined lines with the black glass paint pen and allowed the whole thing to dry for 24 hours.  
I then baked to seal it all in - do this by putting the items in a cold oven, and heating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave the items in for 30 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow the items to cool IN the oven with the door open (you don't want a quick change in temperature for the glass, or it will break).
And that's it!

I am so proud, and I'm going to DEFINITELY make a set for myself... once I graduate and have extra time on my hands (this process took a whole 12 hours or so).

Oh... then I did a great photo shoot with our great camera... that's why we bought it, right?














No comments:

Post a Comment