Sunday, April 21, 2013

6 More Recipes: Sweet and Sour Cucumbers, Apple Snack, Roasted Summer Squash, Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Cake, Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice, Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Good Morning!

I have rounded up a few more recipes that I have tried this week.  Yes, this week. 5 recipes this week. *Round of applause*

Recipe 120 - Sweet and Sour Cucumbers from fitsugar

 This recipe was okay, but it really was just cucumbers in salt and vinegar in the end.  I wasn't completely wowed, but I ate it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe 121 - Apple Snack from letstalkfitness - 
This recipe combined pieces of apple with the juice from an orange and a lemon. It was pretty good, but again it didn't completely change the taste of the apples. In the end it tasted like apples soaked in orange and lemon juice.  I added a little more lemon than usual because I didn't just squeeze it out of a lemon, I used lemon juice out of a bottle. After I ate the apple, I tried the orange/lemon juice left in the bowl. It was pretty good! It would be a great cocktail mix :)



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe 122 - Roasted Summer Squash from TheGraciousPantry -
This was a simple recipe that was pretty good! It was very basic; chop up some zucchini and squash and make it with some seasoning. I do really enjoy cooked zucchini and squash, and I've learned that Logan won't touch it so this is a perfect recipe to keep all to myself!





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe 123 - Apple Yogurt Cake with a Cinnamon Sugar Streak from TheKitchn-


Oh. My. Goodness.
I know... you've been waiting for a recipe where I say more than 'eh'.  This is WAY more than 'eh'.  I'm not sure why I decided to make this recipe. I think it's a combination of just itching to make something, as well as having the majority of the ingredients on hand. The pinterest caption said that it took only 10 minutes to make, but this took me a good 20-30 minutes just to mix the ingredients together.  It was a pretty simple recipe, though... it was kind of like a dump cake where you just put everything in the same bowl and mix it together. For my version of this recipe, I left out the nutmeg (simply because I didn't have any) and I used half wheat flour (simply because I ran out of white).  I also doubled the cinnamon sugar mix that goes in the middle and put another layer on top.  It was SO GOOD!!! It was absolutely amazing right out of the oven, it was pretty damn good sitting out after a few hours, and it was okay refrigerated.  I didn't try it reheated.

 I brought half of the pan to work the next day. Usually when I do this, I still am bringing home leftovers. At the end of the day, I went in to have a piece of this cake and it was ALL GONE with a note demanding the recipe.

My roommates and I laughed as I tried to convince them this was a healthy recipe because it had apples in it, but as I thought about it it really wasn't that bad of a recipe.  There wasn't too much butter, though it was extremely moist.  It was all in the yogurt (I actually used greek yogurt instead of whole-fat). There wasn't too too much sugar... a cup of white in the cake and 1/2 cup of brown in the sugar mix.

This is definitely something I would *shock!* make again!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe 124 - Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice from SouthernPlate-
Logan got his wisdom teeth out Friday night and we were having a hard time finding something for him to eat, so I made this mushy, easy-to-eat dish yesterday. Don't worry about him - he only got two teeth pulled; one was a regular extraction. This means he wasn't puffy, wasn't drugged, and pretty much didn't need me taking care of him. Some people get all the luck!

This recipe was pretty good! Logan really liked it, but then again I made it because it was his kind of recipe anyways.  We tried to make it a little healthier by using fat-free cheese and looking for healthier cream of chicken (fail).

To make this, you put some chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot, cover it with chopped onion, and add cream of chicken to the top of that.
Let it cook on high for 3-4 hours.  About 15 minutes before serving, add in yellow rice, canned corn, and cheddar cheese.
Mix it all together and eat!!!






----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe 125 - Thin Mint Puppy Chow from YourCupOfCake - 
This was a last minute recipe I decided to grab the ingredients for when we were shopping in Target for the Cheesy Chicken dish. I always love puppy chow, and who DOESN'T like Thin Mints? Now, this recipe calls for Thin Mints. I'm sure you're wondering "How did she get her hands on a box of Thin Mints in April?".  Or perhaps you're wondering "Why would she use those delicious cookies in a recipe???"
The answer to that is: Grasshoppers.
Yes, I would be more than happy to use my thin mints from February in this recipe, but unfortunately my one box was devoured by my fiance. Without even offering me ONE. He just... ATE THEM ALL. Yes, I am bitter.
If you didn't know this already, Keebler makes Grasshopper Cookies that they sell year-round in every grocery store. They taste just like thin mints.
That's what I used for this recipe, and it was delicious.
It did make a TON of puppy chow though, and I have a feeling I will be pawning this dessert off on friends, family, coworkers, and students all week.





Those are all my recipes for now - but I've still got a day left in my weekend!

See you soon!!

<3 Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment