Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fall Sangria, Glittered Bottle

Over the past week, I've tried a few different things to keep me going.

I know the narrative and quality of my posts are gone - my limited time puts posting at the bottom of my to-do list and I usually end up quickly getting it done and moving on to other things.

So I'll get to it.

Recipe 106 - Fall Sangria from nerve.com
I still had some apple cider left over from my pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze, so this was a perfect recipe to pull up when I needed to bring something to a friend's house for dinner! I (kind of) followed the recipe on nerve.com that required a mixture of apple cider, cinnamon sticks, hot sauce, white wine, and bourbon.
Well, I followed the recipe. Then I had to double all of the other ingredients and add a whole bottle of sprite to cover the overwhelming taste of the bourbon. Yech. I added cinnamon sugar to the rim for a sweet touch, and that was delicious!!!  If I were to do it again, I would follow the liquor-less recipe that I was looking for in the first place at howsweeteats. But hey, it was quite a drink.


Recipe 107 - Oreo Truffle Brownies from chef-in-training:
These brownies were a pretty good concept - Homemade brownies covered with a layer of Logan's desired Oreo Truffles, and a final layer of melted chocolate. Yum.  I followed the recipe given, and it was the first time I have ever made homemade brownies. I was hopeful when I tasted (consumed a good portion of) the batter and they were quite easy, but with the mixture of two additional chocolate parts, it ended up being too much chocolate for me. If I were to do it again, i would use a regular brownie batter.  I would have also used more cream cheese in the oreo truffle section to make them more moist. Finally, I needed a little more chocolate to cover the whole part. I think this one could be delicious, but I need a second shot.



Gift time! My roommate's birthday was last week, so I made this oh-so-simple glitter-covered liquor bottle from pinterest (link was broken).  I had already done the glitter scene with my glittered shoes and wine glasses, so I had a good idea of how to do it. I bought the alcohol bottle, covered the parts I didn't want glittered in tape, mod-podged the whole thing, added glitter, and waited for it to dry. I then added a layer of clear lacquer and let it dry again. I peeled the tape off, added a 'K' in gems for her name and a few gems around the outside of the labels, and that was it! I think this is a cute and easy way to give a regular bottle of liquor, and it makes a great souvenir for the recipient!  



That's all for now, but the holiday season is coming up and I will have some time off work!
Uh oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment