Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Glitter, Apples, and Quinoa

I told you it's never good when I have a day off! And I have another one tomorrow!!!  So here's what ended up happening last Monday on my day off:

I got glitter.  I got items.  I covered the items in glitter.  Observe:




UCF Black and Gold Shoes:

So I needed some great football season cute shoes, so I decided to take it into my own hands.  I took some black heels, some mod podge, and some gold glitter and went to town!

 

First, I taped around the area I was glittering so that it wouldn't get on the rest of the shoes.

Then, I modpodged the area I wanted glittered.


Finally, I added the glitter, sealed with a spray lacquer, and let dry.  Ta-da!   

I also did part of the bottoms...




College Wine Glasses:
Next, I took a queue from how easy it was to create my mom's birthday wineglass, that I decided I had to make more! Still going with the football/school spirit theme, I made these UCF glasses:


And some Florida Gator ones for my brother and his fiance:


Here they are all together.


My day's accomplishments.



I couldn't let crafts have all the glory, though, and I had some recipes I just had to try.  

Recipe number 98...  
Crock Pot Applesauce from mommymakesitbetter!!!
I LOVE applesauce, so I was super excited to try my own at-home version.  Plus, it involved the crock pot which I'm still trying to perfect.  It was a very simple recipe... the hardest part was peeling the apples.  And waiting, of course.  

I just peeled and cut 8 varied apples, threw them in the crock pot with a generous amount of brown sugar and cinnamon (I honestly don't remember the last time I didn't 'eyeball' something), and stirred frequently (every 20 minutes or so).  They cooked on low (150 degrees on this one).


After... oh, I don't know... an hour or so of cooking, they were getting very soft and yummy-looking.  Of course, I HAD to taste them every time I stirred them, and at this point I decided to stop and not let them get saucy.  

They were just to perfect... this soft but crunchy, sweet, moist apple dish.  It reminded me a lot of the apples you get on the side at Chilis or Boston Market... the kind you get and tell yourself you're being healthy because you're choosing the fruit.  Those.


And they were AMAZING! One of my best recipes yet! SO proud... and the best part is, Logan doesn't eat applesauce or anything close to it!! 


Alright... the last recipe I tried...

Recipe number 99 (I'm so close!)...

Baked Quinoa Broccoli Casserole from eatingwelllivingthin!

Yes, I finally hopped on the quinoa wagon.  Logan and I had been wanting to try it for awhile, and the only thing that was stopping us was the price... geez!  Plus the fact that I had a mental block because I was greatly embarrassed when asking the man at the grocery store for it the first time and pronouncing it quin-oh-ah.  Ack.

But I tried it, made this casserole, it was yummy (more of a side dish though), but I'm not raving about the grain.  It was just like that little start pasta.  I'll try some more recipes and see what's so great.

That's all I have for you now,  until my next day off!!









No comments:

Post a Comment