Monday, November 7, 2011

Christmas Crafts Continued...


Next I have the Book Page Letter for my friend Melissa. This is actually for her birthday which just passed and I missed because I was in Savannah :( I feel like I miss everything of hers!!!

Anyways, Melissa loves to read, so I thought this would be the perfect gift for her! I know she has a little reading nook in her apartment, and this might be the perfect addition to it. I was a little weary because Melissa got married last year and I don't know the procedure for hanging up letters of names in a shared space (should I have made a J for Juan too?) but I figured Melissa loves to read, Juan doesn't, get over it.



I really think the flower adds so much to it... I saw it in the picture when I went to make the letter but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I finally found this tutorial for making fabric flowers and I love it! It was a lot more work than my usually twisty fabric flowers, but IT'S SO FLUFFY! (Movie reference...).

Total cost for that... $4 for the letter. I just used the book pages from an old cheesy romance novel I was about to donate and scrap fabric from my overflowing craft bins. Yay!! It did take about an hour and a half to make though.



Next I have a really exciting one that I am very confident about. I made this bucket list picture frame for my brother. He used to have this bucket list written on a whiteboard in his apartment of all the things he wanted to do before he left Gainesville. Now he's in Boston and keeps saying 'that's on my bucket list... that's on my bucket list'. So I nonchalantly texted him asking him what things he hasn't done in Boston that he wants to, then I made up a few more of my own. The great part is that mine are just starters, and he can add his own when he thinks of them. I think it's a really cute decoration and I can't wait to give it to him!


This is the first thing that I believe mine turned out better than the picture I was inspired by... I guess that's what happens when I find hurdles in trying to copy something else, I get creative!! When I went to Home Depot (ugh) to try to find chicken wire, I found that they only sell it in huge rolls that cost like $30!! Instead of taking the risk of asking someone if they could cut a little piece of chicken wire for me and looking like my usually foolish self in such a place, my introvert personality got the better of me and I decided I would figure it out. And I did. I marched right over to Joanns, where I feel SO much more comfortable, and I bought this pretty blue ribbon. I hot-glued it to the back of the frame (which Meredith found for me BRAND NEW WITH JOANNS TAG ATTACHED at Goodwill for $0.99) , and hot-glued each of the places where the ribbons overlapped. I printed the words out on card stock and cut them out and hot-glued them to the frame too. (I love hot glue). I like that my words are actually on the frame and not hanging over it like in the inspiration. This way you can put it anywhere.
Finally, I printed out little bucket list slips (go sledding, go to New York City, pee on the statue of John Harvard at Harvard University) and pinned them to the ribbon with clothes pins. At first I used regular sized clothes pins like the one holding up the bucket, but I realized it looked way too bulky so I downgraded to mini clothespins to make it all look much more sleek. It's all color-coordinated and beautiful! If you're looking for the little buckets, they're at Joanns too. Of course.

Total cost for this project: $0.99 for the frame, $4 for the ribbon (I ran out right before my last 2 rows and had to go get more), $3 for the bucket = $8.

Beautiful!!! This is going on my top 10 crafts list for sure! (Yes, I have decided to make such a list)



Let's see... What haven't I shared??


Oh! I don't think I ever shared a picture of my brother's keyboard wallet I made a few weeks ago... here it is!!

Really simple, but totally him. He'll really get a kick out of it.


I also made a Christmas gift for myself. I saw this adorable ribbon and pearl necklace from etsy on pinterest and thought "I could make that!" (my catch-phrase lately). Okay, mine isn't nearly as classy, but with some finagling and classier ribbon I could TOTALLY make that.





In other news, a recent craft failure includes the following: Recycled glass bottles to glasses.

Okay, it wasn't a complete failure, but it was disappointing. I FINALLY got Logan to try something with me, and we were SHOCKED at how easy and cleanly the first glass broke. I was so excited that I scrambled around the house looking for more glass bottles, and ended up bringing a full beer to my friend's house for her to drink (I wasn't THAT desperate) and I grabbed 5 more bottles from her while I was at it. When we attemtped to to the same magic to the rest of the bottles, none of them would break anymore!

We tried all the different variables, including amount of string used, how long we kept the fire burning, I even added ice to the water thinking it wasn't cold enough. I was low on nail polish remover and it was late, so we eventually gave up. The next day, I bought more nail polish remover and tried it again, and it worked on a beer bottle and a wine bottle! Again, hopeful. I realized that maybe I can't reuse the nail polish remover. So I went for the next beer bottle. Fail. Wouldn't work. Next one, wouldn't work. Once again, I gave up. Does anyone have any help? A set of Sam Adam's beer glasses would be a great Christmas or birthday gift for my brother!!!

Well, that is all for now. Check back for some upcoming projects including:


No comments:

Post a Comment