Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Challenge

So I'm not that fond of cooking. Baking, I love, but not cooking.

I'm also fond of a challenge.

After being ashamed at the number of pins piling up on my 'Recipes to Try' board on pinterest, and the tiny number on my 'Recipes Tried' board, I decided to add a little cookin' in my mix of creativity.

Then, an amazing thing happened.

My mom's friend loaned me her crock pot.

Here goes nothin...




Some great recipes that I have tried that deserve a shout-out:

Paula Deen's Not Yo Momma's Banana Puddin' - I had to seek out this recipe after visiting Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) in Savannah a little over a year ago. Ooh boy. It's heaven in my mouth. Definitely my favorite dessert ever. You have to share though because if it stays in your fridge the bananas turn brown after a few days.

Skinny Spinach Lasagna Rolls - These were very good, easy to make, stuck to a weight watcher's plan, and didn't make me feel incredibly guilty for eating them.

Crock Pot Honey Chicken - I was amazed at how good this turned out. And it was the season opener for my new/borrowed crock pot! I went a little overboard on the soy sauce though. Less is more for something so strong.

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats - I seem to forget how easy and cheap it is to make rice krispie treats. Well, I know I'm never making regular rice krispie treats again after learning this trick. The recipe did take me two attempts since I learned that if I keep the butter and marshmallows on the stove too long it turns the treats rock hard. I didn't use sprinkles on the second attempt because it calls for a whole container, and they're like $4 a pop. But, these are amazing.

7-Up Biscuits - You gotta love an easy recipe. This has only 3 ingredients, 4 including butter, and they are heavenly.

Red Lobster Copycat Biscuits - I'm a sucker for a good biscuit, and this is just that. Yu-um!



So what's the challenge, you may ask? After seeing that the ratio of recipes to try to recipes tried was 134:21, I decided I needed to level out the playing field. Although the pinboard for Recipes to Try may never get to a reasonable number because I am constantly finding great recipes, my recipes to try is not going to become a prized collection.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyways" - I must face my fear of cooking.

So I have a goal. A goal that I plan to reach, or possibly exceed. My friends and I may all gain massive amounts of weight in the process, and I may not look so great coming out, but we must all make sacrifices.

I plan to reach 100 recipes tried by the end of 2011. For those of you counting, that's 79 recipes in approximately 38 days, 10 of which I will be on vacation. Rev up your ovens girls...

Some recipes to look forward to in the near future:


and for Logan for Christmas...


Here we gooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment